Once we filled in the big hole we'd had dug in the ground, I turned my attention to filling in the big hole we'd had cut in the basement wall. We want to turn that area of the basement into a legal fourth bedroom. For health and safety reasons a bedroom, especially one in a … Continue reading Basement Progress: Bedroom Light and Vent, plus an Egress Window!
We made big jump forward in basement progress this week with the jump start on the new egress window. From first thing Monday morning to late Wednesday we made some pretty dramatic changes to the south side of the house!
My experience in Japan was a feat for the senses - each corner we turned, each place we stayed the night had a wealth of design details that could have kept me staring and sketching for hours at a time. Instead we made an effort to see as many different parts of the country as … Continue reading The Traditional Buildings of Japan
Here's a slight intermission while I go try to make connections between ranch house designs and Japan.
So I haven't been making as much progress as I'd like on the Togstad project in August but it is for an excellent reason. I've been designing another project - a new Passive House residence to be constructed in the Bloomington, IL area.
We got the walls of the new basement bathroom done and had the plumbers back to do the rough in. It is really starting to look like a room with the vent and supply lines in and especially with the shower enclosure installed.
Part of the reason I decided to entirely tear out the existing "finished basement" was aesthetic: it was incredibly dated with an unpleasant drop ceiling and an unfortunate layout. I could have kept some parts of it however, if it hadn't been totally un-insulated. I can do SO MUCH BETTER than that.
In order to start the next stage of basement progress, framing up the new walls, I needed the plumbers to come back and move some old pipes out of my way. At the same time they replaced a bunch of aging equipment and re-located the water heater to make a more efficient pipe layout!
I had literally not had the full den and bathroom areas covered in subfloor for ONE DAY when intense overnight rains (and some bad drainage) scared the pants off me. Here's how I IDed the source of the water seepage and fixed it. Thanks rainstorm, I guess.
The old basement walls were built from the vinyl tile flooring straight up to the ceiling and attached to 2x2 furring strips that were bolted straight to the painted concrete walls. I want to improve the insulation of the basement and also the air circulation so that no mold will form in dead air cold spaces. First step: install a DriCore sub floor system.